So… I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking of yogurt.
What does that even mean, and more importantly, what in the name of Skeletor™ have we been up to since the last post?
Oh do say, old ham, we’ve been up to a lot. Personally, I defected to North Korea, but decided that the communist lifestyle didn’t go well with my evil imperialist ways. So now I’m back to spreading the great word of The Satan™ to children aged between five and six.
But enough of this horrible nonsense. I will now give you a nice list of highlights in our development of Apocalypse these past weeks. It will be both terrible and great and you will feel tingly all over. In no particular order.
I can see my church from here!
- Death character modeled and put in-game with animations and the whole shebang
- Death’s scythe is equippable. Currently can kill peasants and create lots of blood.
- Added proper classes for peasant homes, fields, wells and churches
- Peasants currently have the following AI behaviors:
- Will fetch food at a farm or water at well and bring it to his home if he feels he needs this
- Will eat or drink at home to prevent dying of death
- Will flee to the nearest church and alert the authorities if he sees a horseperson (Death)
- Will also take a stroll if he feels this is awesome
- Will pathfind properly for the most part, except in cases of extreme stupidity
- Player movement is now relative to the camera
- Ragdolls! Yay!
- Church holy aura
- New tree, church, rock, well, field and fence models
- Visual details, like moving cloud shadows on the ground, height fog, etc
Killed by Death
We have one big admission, and that is that we are falling more and more in love with the UDK the more we get to know it. In fact, this other day UDK gave me such a raging boner that I leveled a whole city block. I’m still in recovery. I’ll mention some of the things which has helped us achieve greatness: The navmesh system for pathfinding, animation notifications, ease of adding trail particles, the remote control, archetypes, unrealscript in general and much more.
We are afraid that there’ll be a lull in the development in the coming month, as we have to complete our Master Thesis (in the black art of the Ninja). Curses! But fear not, we will get back to working hard once the summer commences. Remember, ninjas don’t need sunlight, they only need computers. (I might be thinking of nerds, but who knows.)
Still, we are eagerly awaiting the next gift from the UDK gods, namely the inclusion of the UI middleware Scaleform Gfx. It will be awesome, as it (hopefully) simplifies the UI development process a lot. It comes at a great time too, as we have yet to implement any heavy UI stuff, and we are a bit fearful of the UDK’s UIscene system. Some of the 3D-stuff you can do with it looks awe-inspiring, as you can have 3D user interfaces directly in the game world.
We shall therefore sacrifice over nine thousand platypuses and retarded babies each day to speed up this integration.